Thursday, September 30, 2010

FILM REVIEW: The SEPTEMBER ISSUE

I recently got the opportunity via Netflix.com watch instantly option to see The September Issue. This documentary film by R.J. Cutler gives you a behind the scenes look at Vogue magazine as they prepare for their September issue, which is always their biggest of the year.

To know Vogue as a fashion magazine is indeed one thing, but in the fashion world Vogue, as I watched and learned is so much more. And the main reason Vogue is so big is Anna Wintour Vogue Magazine's Editor-in-Chief. Yet to leave it at that seems not enough as she is the "word"on what is fashion, what isn't, and what will be. Through the film she was seen as a very decisive and at times combative, but always after the goal of creating the best Vogue magazine to date. Many times she was seen butting heads with Vogue magazine's Creative Director Gracie Coddington.

I was totally and fully engrossed with the film, but if I had to say who in a sense was my favorite character it would be Gracie. Her story about how she ended up at Vogue magazine took you through another time where she herself modeled with the likes of Angelica Huston and photographers like Helmut Newton. Eventually leaving modeling she worked as a stylist and then up to Creative Director as both Gracie and Anna Wintour started at Vogue at the same time.

Another aspect of the film that held my interest is how much work is involved in putting together such a prestigious magazine. Most important is the cover shoot, but before that there is designer wardrobe selections, model selections, theme of photo shoots, headline stories and decisions on how everything will flow. And if Anna doesn't like it it's out, or at least till every element is brought together.

Overall I really enjoyed this film and without a great deal of high fashion background or training this film made it accessible for me to understand what was going on and its importance. Creatively I think those in fashion and design fashions are a breed of their own. Some are born with it others learn, but those who make fun of it I don't really think they understand this world. Yet I think if they were to view this film I think they may possibly come away with a better appreciation for fashion itself. I give this film 4 Stars.

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment