Saturday, April 24, 2021

MY NETFLIX MOVIE REVIEWS: #251

 


Successful author Veronica Henley finds herself trapped in a horrifying reality and must uncover the mind-bending mystery before it's too late. (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

ANTEBELLUM (2020) is directed and written by Gerard Bush & Christopher Renz and produced by Gerard Bush. Having seen DJANGO and coming out with a positive sense, having at one point swearing off “Slavery movies,” I felt what I saw in the ANTEBELLUM trailer was enough to justify my new view.

Upon watching and knowing my hopes for this film, I was not completely disappointed but somewhat confused. The acting performances were solid, yet the story on screen leads you to think one thing, and then a good portion in the story flips, and the oddity takes hold. In that mind frame, I hope to have seen more of how this new direction works, but in an hour and 45-minute film, I know you can only do so much.

In the End: ANTEBELLUM gives an interesting take on the slavery era juxtaposed to the modern-day, but I was left wanting something more. So I give this film 3 of 5 stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment