Saturday, May 21, 2016

NETFLIX & CHILL #28


Harley loves Ilya. He gives her life purpose and sets her passion ablaze. So, when he asks her to prove her love by slitting her wrists, she obliges with only mild hesitation, perhaps because of her other all-consuming love: heroin. (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database).

HEAVEN KNOWS WHAT is Directed by Ben and Joshua Safdie and written by Ronald Bronstein and Joshua Safdie, produced by Sebastian Bear McClard and Oscar Boyson. Oddly this is the most interesting film I had seen in awhile. I would also have to say that I’ve always been fascinated by the lifestyle of those who live on the street, especially the youth and more specifically young females. I think to myself going without having a blessing like a place to live gets taken for granted sometimes, but not to have a place to call home I wonder how that effects their lives? And not that I would want to try it out or anything, but that living like that would seem to be so hard. HEAVEN KNOWS NOT takes this look in a gritty real life manner as we follow our character Harley in what seems like a span of a few days. Watching this film I never knew what to expect making me feel like there was danger around every corner adding tension to the most serine moments. The film was shot in a way that was intimate with the characters with full screen close ups and in making the camera a character itself by its positioning. This is in no way a redemptive story, which I was hoping to see, but in a way it depicts enough of that lifestyle that it helped me understand the life of living on the street more, but with no real reason to why someone would if they didn’t have to. As for HEAVEN KNOWS NOT it gets 4 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment