Saturday, November 19, 2016

NETFLIX & CHILL #53


After an outlaw unknowingly leads a band of cannibalistic Troglodytes into the peaceful western town of Bright Hope, the monsters kidnap several settlers, including the wife of a local rancher. Despite his injured leg the rancher joins a small rescue party with the sheriff, his aging deputy and a strong-willed gunslinger. What follows is a journey into hell on earth as the posse comes to realize it is up against a foe whose savagery knows no bounds. The film takes place in the mid 1800's around the border of what is now Texas and New Mexico. Written by Anonymous (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database).

BONE TOMAHAWK is written & directed by S. Craig Zahler, and produced by Jack Heller and  Dallas Sonnier. As a film goer and film connoisseur I miss the days where a good western would take you on a journey through the wild west. Upon finding BONE TOMAHAWK on Netflix I had high hopes for this film and a rebirth of the genre. As I began to watch and see the characters set off on their journey of rescue of the damsel in distress I started to see elements that reminded me of why I love a good western. At a certain point though the story fell flat as the story took on a twist that for me lacked the reasoning or even back-story to help me suspend my disbelief and stick with the story till its end. I appreciate the attempt to tell a pulpy old western story, but for me connection to characters and the story lacked what I love about other westerns like The Wild Bunch, The Good, the Bad, and Ugly, or even Unforgiven. So for BONE TOMAHAWK I give it 3 stars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment