Saturday, April 4, 2020

MY NETFLIX MOVIE REVIEWS #208



In 1979, James Baldwin wrote a letter to his literary agent describing his next project, "Remember This House." The book was to be a revolutionary, personal account of the lives and assassinations of three of his close friends: Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King, Jr. At the time of Baldwin's death in 1987, he left behind only 30 completed pages of this manuscript. Filmmaker Raoul Peck envisions the book James Baldwin never finished. Written by Jwelch5742 (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

With a bold title like (2016) I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO, I knew this film had to carry with it a bold message. As the film takes a look back at the turbulent 1950s and the Civil rights movement of that time. This film/documentary put together some of the dots for me on how people, in particular celebrity black folk, felt and dealt with the untimely death of the figureheads of the movement. I also felt hearing the words and interviews of James Baldwin were fantastic as he spoke eloquently of the black struggle in the face of his white detractors. So for I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO, I give it 3.5 stars of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment