Saturday, February 6, 2021

MY NETFLIX MOVIE REVIEWS #242


A talented American graduate of Oxford, using his unique skills and audacity, creates a marijuana empire using the estates of impoverished British aristocrats. However, when he tries to sell his empire to a fellow American billionaire, a chain of events unfolds, involving blackmail, deception, mayhem, and murder between street thugs, Russian oligarchs, Triad gangsters, and gutter journalists. Written by Peter-Patrick76 (peter-patrick@mail.com) (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

THE GENTLEMEN (2019) is directed by Guy Ritchie, written by Guy Ritchie, Ivan Atkinson, & Marn Davies, and produced by Guy Ritchie. This was a film that ended up on my list of films to see, but it wasn’t until I watched a Chris Stuckmann review HERE that I moved it up the list to watch it sooner. I’ve been a Guy Ritchie fan since seeing LOCK STOCK & TWO SMOKING BARRELSand the SNATCH. So now you can understand what time it was.

Upon watching and hearing the popping dialogue with its cockney ascents, I was ready to go. In a sense, the film continues the look at modern U.K. day gangster films, but with a wit all Guy Ritchie. There are several familiar faces in this film, which is great to see as they take on roles they are not typically known for in this wild gangster whodunit.

In the End: THE GENTLEMEN fulfilled all the things I’d expect from Guy Ritchie, familiar with his catalog of films. I enjoyed the list of A-listers in this film, but I hope he doesn’t continue this trend in his next films even though I had a great time watching them. So for this film, I give it a 4 of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment