Thursday, August 16, 2012

VISION CASTING

Back again, we know you needed a little VISION CASTING in your life.   Enjoy!


I woke up early that morning. I had a lot on my mind. I couldn’t stand not doing anything, so I left the hotel and took a run in the park. I had been held up in that hotel for a week trying to work out these rewrites and present it to the brokers. The early morning fog, still caught up between the tree branches, made for an eerie site. The run energized me and as I got back to the hotel, my mind was racing with new ideas to fill the gaps. I showered and ordered room service of Santa Fe scrambled eggs, tortillas, raisin bran, coffee, and orange juice. I sat in front of my laptop in my bathrobe and a pair of boxers. Like a surgeon, I began cutting up the script meticulously, making the necessary adjustments to make it work better overall. It was 8:00am.



The meeting with the brokers was scheduled for 1:00pm. Come 11:30am I felt the script was surred up enough that the final fate of the script was left up to the ones brokering the film. I got dressed, wearing black Visum denim jeans, a light blue chambray short sleeve Staples design button down, a black Nike destroyer letterman jacket, a crisp pair of Air Force Ones, and my gold Rolex. I got downstairs and outside, on the street the doorman hailed me a cab occupied by a young attractive woman in a white cleavage bearing dress. She didn’t pay me any attention, as she was so into the moment with her iPhone. I told the cabby my destination, and we were off.


The rewritten script was bound and in a manila folder in my Marc Jacobs messenger bag on my lap. I was told this script could go for as much as five hundred thousand, and I was looking forward to negotiating for more as these brokers came from money. The trip wasn’t as long as expected, and yet I still was able to take a few good looks over at the woman next to me. When I got to the building the cabby pulled up in front. I paid, got out, and made my way to suite 375. I was to be meeting with three brokers at their, office a Victorian style space with two giant double-panned windows with a breathtaking view. I sat confident in front of the three brokers. They were all lawyers, or all lawyers and accountants. I don’t remember exactly what I was told initially, but I wasn’t impressed. They wanted to enter the filmmaking business. They were told I was the “hottest” screenwriter out with an eye for the provocative. After seeing my latest film they wanted to do business with me. Before we could get down to business we had some “manly’ conversation, as one on the brokers talked about his new black Lamborghini. I mentioned to him that I had gotten the chance earlier that year in Paris to race the exact model he was talking about on a professional track. The look on his face was priceless, as living in the city he probably never got his lambo over 55 mph.



 I figured, after a little side conversation, that we’d get to the point of the meeting. The broker seated in the middle of the other two proceeded to offer me a drink as he made one for himself. The other two followed suit pouring themselves a drink. I proceeded to stay focused on what was at hand. Each of the brokers made their way to the bar and back to their seats, as the conversation continued moving to another topic. All of the men dressed in muted neutral colors looking like a bunch of grown frat boys at a social. Now the broker seated in the middle began talking about a masquerade party that was held over the weekend. He went on to describe his backroom rendezvous that night with the secretary from down the hall, going on about her adept oral capabilities. At that moment I got up and made myself a drink. I explained to the brokers, that if they were serious about having me as screenwriter on this project, we needed to work now. I could relate to the “Boys Club” mentality. I mean, I remember each of the models I’d worked with that we later ended up expressing our animalistic desires for each other whether it be in their trailer, the back of Bustolini’s, or after a gallery show. I still talk to a lot of them to this day, but I knew now these guys were getting into the business for the wrong reasons. They were thinking that films would be another pool of women they could dip into or another stream of money to collect from. I’d seen it before. Those types don’t last, and if they did stick around for a bit their work was shit. I was always told, “Do what you love, and love what you do”. I had a commission piece of artwork that said that exact thing back at the studio. I instantly became home sick.





I thought to myself, “How did I end up meeting with these guys?”, as their conversation went on a bit more in graphic detail. I sipped my drink while looking out the window. “This was a great script,” I thought to myself; maybe even an Oscar contender. Did I want them to reap the benefits of my labor...? I thought hard and deep. I finished my drink, walked over to the coffee table where my script still lay in the manila folder, unaddressed or even looked over. They’d need time to look at it, but I wouldn’t give them the chance putting the envelope back into my bag. It was 2:30pm. I set my drink at the bar and left with no consideration for the three brokers. Once outside of the broker’s office I got on my phone and called my assistant Nicole to inform her that I was coming home early, and I asked her to look and see if we had it in the budget to shoot another film this year. My heart began to beat faster, aroused at the thought of working on another film. I knew I’d be ready when the time came. I just didn’t know it would happen like this.           

For more check out ableabestudios.com

...GO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment