Saturday, January 16, 2016

NETFLIX & CHILL #13


Red Crow Mi'g Maq reservation, 1976: By government decree, every Indian child under the age of 16 must attend residential school. In the kingdom of the Crow, that means imprisonment at St. Dymphna's. That means being at the mercy of "Popper", the sadistic Indian agent who runs the school. At 15, Aila is the weed princess of Red Crow. Hustling with her uncle Burner, she sells enough dope to pay Popper her "truancy tax", keeping her out of St. Ds. But when Aila's drug money is stolen and her father Joseph returns from prison, the precarious balance of Aila's world is destroyed. Her only options are to run or fight... and Mi'gMaq don't run. Written by monterey media (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

Rhymes for Young Ghouls written and directed by Jeff Barnby sent me to a place unlike any I had ever encountered in person or on film. In many cases, I like that, and that was the story here. The darker side of life on an Indian reservation had me awestruck as this story of a drug peddling teenage girl unfolded. Not familiar to this lifestyle as a whole I felt there were some aspects and rituals performed in the story I didn’t quite grasp or could have better understood the reason for the actions of the characters. Although the story of the drug dealing little girl who’s crew was dubbed by their white oppressor with the power, privilege, and religion seemed to strike a cord with me. And as I continued to watch how they weaved the story with art I saw the true uniqueness of this film. So for Rhymes for Young Ghouls I gave it 3 stars for an intriguing story that took me to a very unfamiliar place.



No comments:

Post a Comment