Saturday, October 15, 2016

NETFLIX & CHILL #48


Brit, Candy, Cotty, and Faith have been best friends since grade school. They live together in a boring college dorm and are hungry for adventure. All they have to do is save enough money for spring break to get their shot at having some real fun. A serendipitous encounter with rapper "Alien" promises to provide the girls with all the thrill and excitement they could hope for. With the encouragement of their new friend, it soon becomes unclear how far the girls are willing to go to experience a spring break they will never forget. Written by Muse Productions (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

SPRING BREAKERS is written and directed by Harmony Korine, produced by Charles – Marie Anthonioz, Jordan Gerther, Chris Hanely and David Zander. This film caught a lot of buzz early on because of its mainly female cast and who they were. These young actresses trying to shed their little girl image as Mickey Mouse club and High School Musical fame ventured into this film to be merely clad in nothing more than a bikini. The hype seemed real, as I had seen previous films from Harmony Korine that moved me like KIDS, which he wrote, and GUMMO. My anticipation to see this film was high, but as I began to watch these young actresses try to step out of their previous well known roles I lost interest it just didn’t seem genuine or at least it was hard to suspended my disbelief. There were indeed moments of the film that haunt my memory in a good way and I credit that the Harmony Korine’s eclectic directing style, but otherwise the film to me is a miss. So for SPRING BREAKERS I give it 3 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment