Saturday, October 22, 2016

NETFLIX & CHILL #50


As tragedy strikes him in his prime, famed boxer, Billy Hope, begins to fall into a great depression. Once the decision regarding the custody of his daughter is under question, Billy decides to get his life back on track by getting back into the ring. (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

SOUTHPAW is directed by Antoine Fuqua, written by Kurt Sutter, and produced by Todd Black. I was definitely looking forward to this film hearing it was directed by Antoine Fuqua. The previews told just enough the cast seemed right, but some how and in some way this movie didn’t deliver in the way I thought it would. I mean maybe I’m still stuck on the ROCKY films, but SOUTHPAW was too much of a reflection of that for me to view it as a story that was wholly original. I had a friend mention that SOUTHPAW wasn’t as emotional sentimental as the ROCKY films, but I disagree in that in the same way the main character was fighting for his life the boxer in this film was fighting for his. I guess in the end I’m ready for a story of a fighter to tell a different story and for it to stray away from the main character playing underdog metaphor, which is what I thought this was going to be. So for SOUTHPAW I give it 3 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment