Saturday, September 8, 2018

MY NETFLIX MOVIE REVIEWS #136


Director Spike Lee's drama was produced by the team behind Get Out and offers another provocative exploration of American race relations. In the midst of the 1970s civil rights movement, Ron Stallworth (John David Washington) becomes the first black detective on the Colorado Springs Police Department. He sets out to prove his worth by infiltrating the local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan and convinces his Jewish colleague (Adam Driver) to go undercover as a white supremacist. (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

Treating myself to another matinee special I went to see BLAKKKLANSMAN. In the trailers the story was presented as based on a true story. In most cases I’m not much for films of that kind, yet with Spike Lee directing I figured he’d add that special something to it to make it pop. In the end I didn’t get that, I got what felt like a simple retelling of a story that had some merit, but in the grand scheme of things didn’t really change anything history wise. I did like John David Washington, the main characters, performance was strong, but I was really hoping for more. So for BLACKKKLANSMAN I give it 3.5 stars of 5.





No comments:

Post a Comment