Saturday, July 11, 2020

MY NETFLIX MOVIE REVIEWS #220


Destroyer follows the moral and existential odyssey of LAPD detective Erin Bell who, as a young cop, was placed undercover with a gang in the California desert with tragic results. When the leader of that gang re-emerges many years later, she must work her way back through the remaining members and into her own history with them to finally reckon with the demons that destroyed her past. Written by Annapurna Pictures (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

DESTROYER (2018) is directed by Karyn Kusama, written by Phil Hay & Matt Manfredi, and produced by Fred Berger. I faintly remember seeing the trailer to this film, but what do remember it seemed like an intense crime story with a bank robbery and several twists. 

Upon watching I did find the story to be quite intriguing and even the way the story developed and was presented to the viewer made it seem real gritty and the edge of your seat. I even felt the pacing of the film added to the seriousness of the subject matter.  My only serious question about this film was it’s casting being that the main character Erin Bell played by Nicole Kidman, who gave a commendable performance nothing like I’ve seen her in before, yet this role seemed to break my sense of disbelief making me wonder if another female actor like Charlize Theron could have played the role better just a question. 

In the End: DESTROYER was a film with a cop story with some intense gritty twists and turns which I enjoyed overall. So for this film, I give it 3.5 of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment