Saturday, March 11, 2017

MY NETFLIX MOVIE REVIEWS #65


In the years 1986 and 1998 three black children living in Mississippi deal with poverty, violence and abuse. Young Kari the main character is a talented pianist who hopes to pursue a career in it one day. Her sister Leigh is struggling to hide her lesbian relationship with her girlfriend, Paula. Their cousin Sammy is a star basketball player. Each child deals with their dysfunctional family, including gambling, alcoholism, and poverty. (Courtesy of Internet Movie Database)

Having missed both FENCES and MOONLIGHT in theaters, granted it even came to my area, I was looking for a film that spoke to the black experience. Searching on Netflix I then found the film MISSISSIPPI DAMNED. Getting a grasp of the story line I had to work myself up and mentally prepare to see this film based on its intense and bleak subject matter plus it was based on a true story. Upon watching and to my surprise the film was very well made from storyline, actor performances, and direction. It did create some questions within me about the quality of life for black Americans and how might we change that for the future, which the film tries to give an explanation, but I was looking for more. This is a very well made film with some heavy subject matter so again to recommend it freely for everyone would be tough. Yet for MISSISSIPPI DAMNED I give it 4 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment