Tuesday, July 20, 2010

FILM REVIEW: ICHI THE KILLER

Personally, I am a huge fan of Hong Kong and Japan cinema. Sometimes the cultural differences can be hard to decipher, but I am usually able to figure out what is going on. The film ICHI THE KILLER is the story of when a Yakuza boss named Anjo disappears with 300 million yen, his chief henchman, a sadomasochistic man named Kakihara, and the rest of his mob goons go looking for him. After capturing and torturing a rival Yakuza member looking for answers, they soon realize they have the wrong man and begin looking for the man named Jijii who tipped them off in the first place. This film was directed by Takashi Miike, written by Hideo Yamamotto and Sakichi Sato, produced by Akiko Funatsu from Omega Project Studios 2001.

The film started off a little slow and it took me a minute to understand what was going on, but when I finally did I was on a ride that made me a bit uncertain. A bit gory for my taste, but as the film progressed I felt the story itself had me at a loss and I didn't understand some of the choices the characters were making. As for the visuals Japan always looks incredible to me, but here it came off very ordinary. The whole film left me wondering WTF did I just watch so ICHI THE KILLER gets 2 stars.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment